Thursday, August 13, 2009

Welcome address by Esi Yankah, Founder and president of Africa Mentor Network at the official launch of AMN at African Regent Hotel, Accra. Aug 12, 09

Welcome address by Esi Yankah, Founder and president of Africa Mentor Network at the official launch of AMN at African Regent Hotel, Accra. Aug 12, 2009.

 

Distinguished Chief Executives, fellow African youth from Accra and beyond, ladies and gentlemen.

 

I have a question for you, did it really have to take President Barrack Obama to come to Ghana to tell us to rise up and take responsibility of our own continent?  In his own words

 

The future of Africa is in the hands of Africans” and I quote again

 

Only this time, we have learned that it will not be giants like Nkrumah and Kenyatta who will determine Africa's future… Above all, it will be the young people — brimming with talent and energy and hope — who can claim the future that so many in my father's generation never found."

 

I stand here this morning, not only as The President and Founder of The Africa Mentor Network, but as a citizen and youth speaking on behalf of the younger generation of Ghana and Africa as a whole who are yearning for change, young people who need inspiration and motivation, young people who are counting on you and looking up to you the older generation to lead by example and help and guide us towards the right path. We are tired of all the bickering and backbiting going on in the society today, we just want a bright future and that’s all we are asking for. A future where “Impossible is nothing”, a future where we can face any obstacle that comes our way because you taught us which way to go.

 

We want to be successful just like you, and we also know that you can only find true happiness in success when you help others less privileged than yourself to get to where you are and even overtake them.

 

President Obama said "While the future is unknowable, the winds always blow in the direction of human progress".

 

As our future has not been defined, we the youth of Ghana and Africa as a whole are claiming our future and we are holding you, the older generation of Africans responsible. We are holding hands today as one people from different ethnic backgrounds in support of The Africa Mentor Network; we are ready to give back to our communities and help in whichever way we can to ensure that our future is safe and secure for ourselves, our children and their descendants.

Africa has the resources needed to help motivate and inspire the younger generation to create an awareness for themselves and help us realize our full potentials and advance in our social, educational and economic opportunities.

 

The future shouldn’t only look bright for the elite in the society, but for the poor, the handicapped, the orphan, the child in the Northern, Eastern, Western, Central, Greater Accra, Volta, Upper East, Upper West, Ashanti and Brong Ahafo Region who is looking for the right guidance, network and platform to exhibit their unique talents and  take advantage of opportunities. Everyone deserves a chance!

 

To my fellow youth, please do not put any limitations on your life, don’t be afraid to dream, there are so many opportunities in this world, lets explore them. Don’t settle for less! Let’s stop complaining about why things are not the way they should be, but rather get up and fix them! I listened to the interview of The Mad doctor, Dr. David Abdullai on KSM’s show and I was deeply moved. If the son of a cripple and a beggar can rise above all odds and obstacles and become very successful, then seriously, what excuse do we have! The older generation is ready to help us, but we need to help ourselves first. If they see that we are working hard, determined and aggressive about our future, they will pull us up. Let’s open our arms wide to help people whether they are of a different social class, ethnic group or race. We are all one people and everyone needs someone.

 

 

Let’s not only seek opportunities outside Africa but explore the ones right here in our communities. If we find better opportunities outside our continent let’s always remember to come back and give back to our communities. Let us hold hands together. Africa needs us!

 

The traditional Adinkra symbol “Boa me na me mmoa wo, means: “Help me and let me help you” which is a symbol of interdependence and cooperation. There is a native African saying which goes :

"Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand."

 

Dear older generation, We are helping ourselves by reaching out to you, now we need your help.

 

I am very grateful to the Almighty God, my source of knowledge of inspiration, my family, my mentor, my board members, my friends and strangers who believed in this vision when it was just an idea and helped to make it possible.

 

I officially welcome you now to the launching of The Africa Mentor Network. My team and I are deeply honored to have you here with us today.

Akwaaba and enjoy the event.

Thank you !

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment